The TTMF20 Songwriters Competition – New format!
For the 2020 Thame Town Music Festival Songwriters Competition we are changing the format so we can give even more artists a chance to get their compositions heard by music industry experts.
This year we are making it even easier to take part! All you need to do is upload a video of you playing your song to YouTube and complete the application form. Our panel of industry experts will assess it.
- The winner and three runners-up will be invited to play at Thame Town Music Festival on Saturday 11thJuly.
- A Cash Prize: £250 for the winner and £75 for each runner-up.
- A written review by our panel of experts with testimonials that can be used in all your promotional material
- John Leckie – World-renowned Music Producer (Radiohead, Stone Roses, XTC, The Levellers, Muse, Paul McCartney and many more!)
- Luke Concannon – Leading artist (Nizlopi) and mentor to Ed Sheeran, living & working in the USA
- Guy Hake – Senior Lecturer in Sound; National Film and Television School
- Dave Gilyeat – BBC Introducing in Oxford
- Johnnie Littler – Festival Director
- Hannah Clapham - Artist Manager, Booking Manager at Mahogany Sessions, Record Label exec
Criteria for Judging
Please note: We all do it but if your song bears a remarkable similarity to that Bob Dylan/Ed Sheeran/Massive Attack track then no matter how catchy it is, it will lose out on the originality and creativity scores. Similarly, neo-classical, Latin techno jazz fusion in 53/54 time is very clever but may not be everyone’s cup of tea!
A tip: We actually prefer clips of people playing live which have been videoed in a basic way. This way we can see the actual song, the artist and how it can be performed. Professional studio stuff is great but can hide a lot of things. Basic is best for us!
What you have to do
- Enter on-line by completing the application form and include a YouTube link of you performing your song. You can use any clip you like. Be it recorded on your phone in your bedroom or the eight-camera pro shoot of your Wembley stadium gig!
- We will review all entries and a shortlist of ten finalists will be judged by our panel, who will select the winner and three runners-up.
- The winner and runners-up will be invited down to Thame to play at the Festival. The winner will meet some of the Judges and play on the Main Stage!
Opening and Closing dates
We are open to entries now!
The closing date for entries is 1 May 2020
Unfortunately we cannot acknowledge receipt of all applications.
Finalists will be contacted by May 18 2020
Enter the 2020 competition [HERE]
Please read the Terms & Conditions before entering the contest:
- The composition must be the entrants own original work and not infringe any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties. You retain all rights.
- Please check your files and links before uploading them to make sure they work and it is the right track.
- You can enter as many songs as you like!
- Anyone can enter.
- The Judges decisions are final. It’s always going to be subjective so we can’t really enter into any discussion about it.
- You must be available to perform at the Festival in Thame on Saturday 11th July 2020.
You must agree that we can film and publish your performance on the Main Stage if you win for our video and festival promotional purposes.
Enter the 2020 competition [HERE]
The winner of the TTMF19 Songwriters' Competition was Zach Johnson, with his song Memories.
In addition to a trophy and cash prize, Zach received support from the event sponsors, Christopher Ward, through the Christopher Ward Challenger Programme